Collection of railway vehicles and parts
The collection of railway vehicles and parts includes steam locomotives of 13 different series built in the period from 1894 to 1960, and then diesel, electric and diesel-electric locomotives, diesel trains, passenger and freight wagons and special track vehicles such as tricycles and four-wheeled vehicles on mechanical and engine drive and cars adapted to driving on tracks. If we were to put all these vehicles in a line, it would be one kilometre long.
Apart from the vehicles, there are also many vehicle parts in the collection, for example plates with locomotive or factory marks, bogies, devices and other parts.
The collection now has 213 items, but this number is always increasing because of the takeover of various vehicles, equipment and devices which Croatian Railways no longer uses but that have a special value in the development of the system.
The value of the mentioned collection is great because it includes unique, rare vehicles which as a rule were used by Croatian Railways for many years and which no longer exist today. The most attention today is given to the steam locomotives which operated in Croatia 128 years, from 1860 to 1988. A total of 36 steam locomotives have been preserved and these are series J Ž 11, 22, 33, 50, 51, 62, 116, 125, 152, 83, FS 835, LVB no. 146, no. 207. Among them the most numerous are locomotives series J Ž 51, of which there are thirteen.
Fifteen steam locomotives are exhibited at Croatian railway stations as monuments of technical heritage, nine are exhibited at the HŽN exterior exhibiting area and locomotive mark J Ž 51-053 was exhibited in 2005 in the scope of the Lovrak Centre in Veliki Grđevac.
The oldest locomotive is locomotive J Ž 125-025 (MÁV 326.363) which has been exhibited at the Zagreb Main Station since 1992.
Steam locomotive 11-015
Steam locomotive mark JŽ 11-015 was one of three steam locomotives which served for traction of the so-called Blue Train, which had the status of a presidential train in the former Yugoslavia. Along with locomotives mark JŽ 11-022 and JŽ 11-023, locomotive JŽ 11-015, it was built in 1947 in the MÁVAG factory in Budapest, and this according to a special order for the traction of the Blue Train. At this time they were the most modern locomotives, which, because of their technical characteristics and improvements, are considered the most successful locomotives produced by the Hungarian locomotive industry.
All three locomotives were used for the traction of the Blue Train immediately upon completion. They hauled the Blue Train right up to the beginning of the sixties when they were replaced with the new diesel-hydraulic locomotives series D-66 produced in Germany and purchased in 1958. After their inclusion into traffic they were given the serial mark JŽ 761 and popularly named Sutjeska, Kozara and Dinara. By then all three locomotives of the Blue Train had already been in use in train traction for the transportation of passengers in regular traffic. The power of locomotive JŽ 11-015 is 854 kW, mass with tender is 94,340 kg, and its length with tender is 20,978 mm.
The locomotives remained in use until the beginning of the eighties. Locomotive series 11-015 (producer’s mark MÁV 424) was registered at the Zagreb Fireroom and was in use until April 1980. Not long after it was reconstructed and on 27th July 1982 it was set up as a monument-locomotive on a plateau on the eastern side of the Zagreb Main Station. Here it remained until May 1992 when it was moved to the exhibition tracks of the Croatian Railway Museum where it remains to this day.
The Composition of the Museum Train in the Lovrak Centre in Veliki Grđevac
The composition of the museum train is composed of a steam engine mark JŽ 51-053 (MÁV 375.883) and three two-axle passenger wagons series Baat.
The locomotive was built in 1917 in MÁVAG, the factory of the Hungarian state railways in Budapest under factory number 46. The mass of the locomotive comes to 51 tons, and its length with tender is 10.93 meters. During its lifetime it was used for the traction of freight and passenger wagons. Its maximum speed was 60 km/h.
As of 1955 the locomotive JŽ 51-053 was registered in the firerooms in Karlovac and Varaždin. It was in operation up to 1985 and became part of the holdings of the Croatian Railway Museum upon its founding in 1991.
From 2005 onwards, the composition of the museum train, headed by locomotive 51-053 and on the basis of a contract concluded with the Mate Lovrak Elementary School, was set up for exhibiting at the Lovrak Centre in Veliki Grđevac.
Diesel Locomotive M-32
This was a blue three-axle diesel locomotive, which was originally green, for track gauge 760 mm. It was built in the period between 1940 and 1943 in the German factory Gmeider Lokomotivenfabrik in Mosbach. A large number of locomotives of this series were constructed for military use.
Locomotives mark M-31 and M-32 were owned by DIP Šipad of Drvar and were used as industrial locomotives. In the fifties, the Zagreb Town Railway took over both locomotives and remounted them in their workshop. They replaced the old six cylinder Kaeble diezel engine of 120 KS power and replaced it with a six cylinder Famos diesel engine produced domestically of 130 KS power that was able to reach a maximum speed of 30 km/h.
During the reconstruction various parts were installed including a geared reducer that they manufactured themselves, a short telescopic cardan axle with cardan joints produced by Mostar's Sokok and a Božić air brake. The reconstruction made the locomotive lighter because the newly installed traction and transmission equipment was lighter than the original parts.
Both locomotives hauled passenger and freight trains on the Zagreb - Samobor - Bregana line until it was closed to traffic on the last day of 1979.
Locomotive FS 835.040
Locomotive mark FS 835.040 was constructed in 1908 in the Italian factory Ernesto Breda in Milan. Locomotives of this series were built by the Italian State Railways in the period from 1906 to 1922, and this exclusively for shunting work at larger stations. The locomotives were smaller than average with a power of 280 kW (380 Ksi), and were 35,500 kg heavy, 9160 mm long, and the maximum speed was 55 km/h.
Locomotives of this series were easy to handle and because of their old fashioned appearance they acquired the nickname »caffettiera« which translated means »little coffee pot«. Since the tracks in Istria, including Rijeka, were under the administration of the Italian railways until 1947, these locomotives were used on lines in this part of Croatia.
Locomotive mark FS 835.040 ended its days on Italian State Railways and was placed in the holdings of the Trieste Railway Museum. During the sixties a locomotive of this mark was despatched to the Ljubljana Railway Museum as part of an exchange of museum material. In 1986 the locomotive was refurbished and exhibited at the Pula station on the occasion of the 110th anniversary of the Istrian lines.
After the collapse of Yugoslavia in 1991 and the subsequent separation of railway administrations, the tracks in Istria fell under the jurisdiction of Croatian Railways. Thus, the locomotive mark 835.040 remained in its position at the Pula station and on 12th October 2004 it was taken over by the holdings of the Croatian Railway Museum.
Composition of the Armoured Train in Brodosplit
In 1991, workers of Croatian Railway and Brodosplit of Split together constructed an armoured train for carrying out military operations against the aggressor’s forces.
The train was composed of a diesel-electric engine mark HŽ 2062-045 and two four axle freight wagons series G. The locomotive was constructed in 1973 by the Canadian company EMD, and it was put into operation in August of the same year. It weighed 99 tons, it was 17 m long and its power was 1617 kW, wheel diameter was 1016 mm, and the maximum allowed speed was 124 km/h. Before becoming armoured, the locomotive was used to haul trains on main lines.
The four axle freight wagons were 16.52 m and 16.79 m long, with a loading surface of 39.60 and 40.30 m², volume 90.40 and 92.00 m³. The mass of each wagon was 22.50 tons, and the allowed load was 41.50 tons. The wagons were completely reconstructed and of the original construction only the axles, bogies and supporting structures remain. Workers of the Croatian Railways’ Train Vehicle Maintenance Unit in Split and Brodosplit armoured the train themselves.
The train composition is part of the holdings of the Croatian Railway Museum. It was loaned to Brodosplit in 2006 for exhibiting. The rights and obligations concerning the exhibiting are regulated by a special contract on guarding and exhibiting museum material.
Movable exhibition wagon of the Uass-z no. 82-78-9250-900-7
Mail wagon series Uass-z no. 82-78-9250-900-7 was built in 1963 by the factory then known as the Janko Gredelj Railway Vehicle Factory. It was used to despatch mail throughout the former Yugoslavia for more than thirty years.
In 2005 the wagon was put into the holdings of the Croatian Railway Museum and a year later it was restored and turned into a mobile exhibition wagon. Care was taken to preserve the original appearance and the equipment of the central part of the wagon which served as a mobile post office in which postal workers handled consignments as in a conventional post office.
The space on both sides of the office area, which originally served to store consignments during the journey, was adapted to exhibit various items or for presentations and lectures, music events, promotions, audiovisual presentations, workshops and similar events. Thus, the reconstructed wagon became available to all users and the story of the travelling post office has been preserved.
The wagon is four-axle, 24,500 mm long, 39 tons heavy, and can carry 21 tons of freight, with a maximum speed of 120 km/h.